Thursday, July 31, 2014

It's My Story

And I'm sticking to it...



I love old houses. I love their creaks, their cracks, and their character! I dreamed of living in one and yet never thought it possible.

It crossed my mind that maybe, just maybe when we were given the opportunity to move to this little Mayberry town near Dallas Texas that my dream could become a reality. B.J. and I talked about it and he was on board, ready to make my dream come true.  But when the time came to start looking for  one, we both got scared knowing that with an old house, comes an enormous amount of TLC. (Not only tender loving care, but also time, loads of work, and cash). 

I toured several through personal invites, realtor showings, and estate sales. The condition and size of them sent me right back to the newer homes in the newer neighborhoods. I went back and forth between old houses and new houses until I feel certain our realtor thought she was dealing with a schizophrenic.  But the truth is, my heart never left the old houses. 

And then one day God showed up - at a garage sale...

I pulled up to a garage sale at one of my favorite historical houses.  The owner was extremely busy when I arrived but I squeezed in the opportunity to tell her how much I loved her house. And this is what she told me: "Buying this house was the craziest and most impractical thing I have ever done in my life.  But it doesn't matter because I am living in my dream house and I love it!"

OK, God, I heard you. 

And from then on I knew!! We were going to do something crazy and impractical!

This house is old, it is dirty, it is in dire need of repairs, and still I know it was meant for us to own, to love, to clean, to decorate, and to bring it back to its magnificence to the best of our ability.  It will take time, money, and hard work, but I will never doubt that 408 Preston Street Ennis Texas is exactly where God placed us in this season of our lives! He has given me my hearts desire. 

Much love, Lynn






No comments:

Post a Comment